Monday 20 February 2012

Life's Unexpected Turns

The past few years have been such a growing experience for me.  I've gone through significant life changes, family and disease struggles, and testimony-trying experiences.  Somehow (ok, I know how) I've been able to come out on top, time and time again.  I know that the Lord has been helping me in my life and directing me in all the things I need to do.  In the last year, I have felt the companionship of the Holy Ghost almost constantly because of my Heavenly Father's helping me to become a better person and leave my past behind me.  I've been happier than ever before in my life and I finally understand that when the Lord asks you to do something, it's for a good reason.  Even if it seems inconvenient for you and your life plan, things will always work out for the better.  The Lord knows what He's doing and will only direct your paths for good.

All of that being said, I was finally at a good place in my life.  I was happy, healthy, and looking forward with faith to my future.  There were very few feelings of lonliness.  Seminary and Relief Society have given me the strength and capacity to love the people I'm teaching and serving and have made my interactions with them more meaningful and real.  They have fulfilled me in a way I didn't think was possible.  I love my callings. 

In my personal life, I had taken the personal challenge to go on more dates.  In the last 6 months, I've been out on dates with a number of different guys (I think 6...).  It was all pretty casual and I had some fun times.  More recently, one of my friends came out of a relationship and I figured, why not?  I'll ask him out.  I knew that we had fun as friends so maybe we'd have fun on a date too.  He said yes, and we went on a few dates...that were actually pretty awkward.  Transitioning out of the friend-zone is never easy, for anyone.  We finally talked about it and realized that there was no reason to be awkward.  We could continue talking about everything we had talked about while we were friends (even the supposed date-taboo topics like past relationships and dating in single's ward) and not be uncomfortable about it.  Pretty solid agreement.

That being said, once the awkwardness was out of the way, our relationship was allowed to grow and now, for the first time in a very, VERY long time, I am officially dating someone.  It's new, and exciting, and we both feel good about it.  :D

Until next time,
-J

2 comments:

SAH in Suburbia said...

Very exciting!

Leah said...

You guys make me smile, just saying. :)

Totally needed to read this, thank you!!!