Monday 10 November 2008

Masquerade!

Hey all, sorry for the delay in posting. This week has been a pretty crazy one. First off, 3 of my classes were cancelled and the school was closed on Tuesday because of a sewage back-up (ew!). My weekend started on Thursday around noon. I went shopping that night, with my friend Kaylee, for the Masquerade on Saturday. We both got super cool dresses and were totally stoked.

Friday I went to Friday Forum at the institute building. Our lesson was on the King Follett Discourse. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a 2 hour talk that was given by Joseph Smith at General Conference on April 7th 1844. Only about 45 minutes was recorded between four scribes. The general topic was knowing God and how to obtain eternal life. It was a really great lesson and I recommend everyone to read this if you can find it.
Friday afternoon, my friend Brad came over and we (like any productive and studious adults) played nintendo all afternoon. We're that cool. I then went visiting teaching (woo!) and later on headed to a dance at the church. The music was lame, but the company was good :)
Saturday was devoted to preparing for the Masquerade. We (Kaylee and I) went out and bought supplies to make masks and then headed to Karen and Sera's to put them all together. This is how mine turned out.
The Masquerade was lots of fun! There was a live band for about 45 minutes at the beginning. They weren't that great, and all they played were slow songs, but we didn't really care. There was an appetizer 'buffet' and a drink 'bar' (non-alchoholic of course!) too. Once the DJ started, things got so much better. He played really great music and he knew how to mix tracks and get everyone dancing the whole time. We (me and 2 friends) left around midnight, but apparently the party went on well past 2am.





Sunday was church, and lots of people weren't there (presumably still recovering from the dance). We had a really great lesson in Relief Society about the Second Coming and I was greatful for it, since I realized I have been focusing lately on what's right in front of me instead of the big picture. This lesson made me realize that and I felt a little ashamed that I've been so self-absorbed.

Sunday evening I went to Emily's house and we made paper snowflakes and paper chains, just because we could (and also because they needed stuff to decorate their place for winter/christmas). Then off to Institute choir and back home around 10:15pm. Long weekend for sure.













Until next time,
-J

4 comments:

SAH in Suburbia said...

This was a church masquerade? I thought there was this 'no masque' rule thing......

Intahresting.........verrrrry intahresting.

SAH in Suburbia said...

BTW, your mask looked great and you looked beautiful!!

Jess O said...

It wasn't an official church dance, and it was held at a banquet hall. There was a $10 cover charge and everything. It was just some girls from church that thought it'd be a fun idea.

Unknown said...

The expression on your face when you're holding the snowflake is hilarious :) I'm really looking forward to your christmas party, I miss everybody!