Wednesday 4 January 2012

Books I Read in 2011

People who know me know that I am an avid reader.  I go through periods of withdrawl where I have to read everything I can get my hands on...and then I'm good for a few months.  I sort of got into the habit when I started university, when there's no time for pleasure reading during school so I can only read over the holidays or summer break.  That being said, I read a number of books for the first time in 2011 and here are just some of the titles:
Holes--Louis Sachar
Artemis Fowl--Eoin Colfer
Pride and Prejudice--Jane Austen
The Golden Compass--Philip Pullman
The Count of Monte Cristo--Alexandre Dumas
The Diary of a Young Girl--Anne Frank
The Five People You Meet in Heaven--Mitch Albom
The Book Thief--Markus Zusak
Jane Eyre--Charlotte Bronte
Wuthering Heights--Emily Bronte
Inheritance--Christopher Paolini
The Five Love Languages--Gary Chapman

And I'm sure there were a few Madeline Wickham books thrown in there somewhere too.  Hey, every girl needs their chick-book fix sometimes.  :P  I also started two other books but didn't finish them before the year was over (Oliver Twist and Still Alice).  I used to be a bit of a book snob and definitely judged books by their cover (and what section of the store they were in...I religiously avoided the self-help section until this project).

I'd have to say my favourite of that list were The Count of Monte Cristo (1500 pages in 8 days!), and Jane Eyre.  Inheritance was also good (800 pages in 2 days) but I didn't like the ending.  I normally don't read this many books a year (The last book I read was in the beginning of November; the majority of these were read between May and September) but back in April I made a list of books I'd like to read.  Mostly it is made up of classic novels that I have never read, but should have.  I've been pleasently suprised thus far and I must say that Jane Eyre is my new favourite book.  I added to it from suggestions of my friends and I hope to continue checking books off. 

Feel free to add any suggestions!!  Also, if you ever feel the need to buy me something, might as well make it a book...or two! :P

Until next time,
-J

2 comments:

Jonathan Olfert said...

Daggum...you do like your literature. My list for 2011 would be a lot longer and a heck of a lot pulpier. Monte Cristo in two days...my gosh.

Heh...Artemis. "No, I would NOT like to see the kiddy menu. I would like to order a la carte. Or don't you serve fish to minors?"

Jane Eyre is one of my all-time favourites. Mitch Albom is kinda the man. Dumas in general is a good time, and if you read The Golden Compass you need to finish the trilogy, if you haven't already. And I recommend the five love languages to everyone.

I just read Flowers for Algernon - I think you'd love it.

Jess O said...

Haha yeah, Monte Cristo in two days was the result of house sitting for a neighbour, and having a pool-side sunny week and no work. It was bliss. :)

I didn't really like Artemis to tell the truth. I might have when I was younger but it was sort of boring to me now.

Jane Eyre was the most amazing love story ever. It was not cliched, it was real. And I loved it for that.

I haven't read the rest of the Golden Compass series, but I would be willing to if I can get my hands on it.

If you have Flowers for Algernon, I will gladly borrow it. :)